Primary Talent Spec: Shadow
Secondary Talent Spec: Discipline
Profession 1: Tailoring
Profession 2: Enchanting

Armory Link:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/chara ... ale/twigzs
https://www.wowprogress.com/character/e ... ale/Twigzs
Screenshot of your UI in a raiding environment:
https://imgur.com/a/fg67q - First picture is out of combat, with WeakAuras tab open. (All WAs visible)
https://imgur.com/a/9qOcC - In Combat shot
What is your /played time?:
89 days

Where did you hear about us?
I found the forum post, you posted in the PvE section. After reading through the information, I had a chat with Loeka. Also, having been on Defias Brotherhood for a while, I have seen some of you around, and while I knew no one from the guild, the guild name wasn't unknown to me.

Why do you want to join us and what are you looking for in a guild?
After stepping back from raiding for a short time, I really want to get back into raiding. At this point in time, I have the time to commit to more than your average raiding days. I like the challenge of mythic raiding, and I like improving as a player, which i feel isn't only necessary for Mythic raiding, but mythic raiding in itself, as well as the guild, creates incentive to do just this. So providing me with the tools and oppotunity to do just this, is what I mainly like in a guild. Outside of raiding, I also enjoy running a lot of Mythic+, and having lived in the pug world for a bit now, I would like to start doing this with guildies, hopefully making new friends in the process.

In short, I'm looking for a home that can provide the necessary tools for constant improvement, as well as joining up with like-minded people, who enjoy the game, just as I do.

Do you know anyone in the guild who can vouch for you?
Sadly I don't know anyone in the guild at this moment.

Please list your previous guilds and explain your reasons for leaving them
Violent Circus: I was raiding with them, till I stepped down from raiding a few months ago. I still have active characters in the guild, I'm still part of their Discord community, and I play a lot of games outside of WoW with them. Getting back into raiding, my first stop was re-trialling, unfortunately they were not able to provide me with a spot, as their roster is pretty stacked.

Danish Exiles: This is where I am currently enjoying my hiatus from the raiding scene. They do have a raiding team, in which I help out if they are a man short. Otherwise it's just a place for me to chat with other danes, do some Mythic+ and hang out.

What do you feel you will bring to the guild?
I'm a fairly calm and quiet guy (This does not mean shy). I'm always happy to help out whereever I can, or maybe even enjoy a game outside of WoW. As for raiding, I always show up prepared, meaning both in terms of consumables and knowing tactics. I constantly try to improve myself, not just in terms of my own personal performance, but also chip in where I can, in terms of the raid as a whole. After years of Mythic raiding it is second nature to me, that the raid always comes first.

Please list your previous raiding experience
Classic
Killed upto and including Prophet Skeram (AQ40)

TBC
Killed upto and including Supremus (BT)
Note: Pre-WotLK talent patch, that really shuffled things.

WOtLK
Cleared everything on Normal (Both 10man and 25)
Killed upto and including Rotface 25man (ICC-Heroic)

Cataclysm
Cleared everything on Normal
No Heroic experience this expansion

Mists of Pandaria
Cleared Everything on Normal
SoO Heroic(10): 13/14HC

Warlords of Draenor
Cleared Everything on Heroic
HM(M): 3/7M
BrF: 3/10M
HFC: 9/13M

Legion
EN: 6/7M
ToV: 3/3M - Post-NH release.
NH: 8/10M
ToS: 6/9M

If possible please provide links to some recent WorldofLogs / WarcraftLogs reports:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... ale/twigzs

Can you play Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday and Monday, 19.30ST - 23.00ST?
Yes. I do my uni work in the mornings, along with my house chores, which leaves the evenings everyday of the week open.

Can you use Discord, do you have a mic, and will you use it?
I do have Discord and a Mic. I'm also more than willing to be vocal. (I am usually quiet during raids, as 20 people trying to speak simultaneously would be a mess. ^^ )

Are you willing to respec for raids if required?
Yes.

Are you willing to pass your raid spot to someone else if required?
Yes. I understand that most raiding guild run rosters with more than 20 in it, to compensate for IRL being a thing. It is only natural that once in a while, I'd have to sit out. There's also the fact that some bosses just feels terribad for some classes, so for the sake of progress sitting out someone, is also something I am more than okay with.

Have you ever stopped raiding for an extended period of time?
Usually it was only for a few months at a time. But yes, I have taken breaks for various reasons.

Which stats do you feel are important to your spec and why?
Haste is a vital part of Shadow Priest, as it is essentially what makes the class tick. Often when I talk to new priests, they feel the spec is clunky to play, and they are not getting the numbers they want. Often this can be contributed to low haste numbers.

Critical Strike is not important cause it is giving us big numbers, but also because of the talent point Auspicious Spirits, it provides us with an additional steady stream of resource (Insanity).

Mastery as this is just a flat damage bonus to Shadow Word: Pain, Vampiric Touch and Void Bolt, which is where our damage really comes from.

Currently all three of these stats work very well together, so neglecting one is not a good thing. Our first priority is ofcourse our Haste. As we want to get our haste to a level, where we can maintain our Voidform for the duration we need it. Once that is achieved, we're looking at Crit as well as Mastery, to buff up the damage we do within that Voidform window. In Nighthold we saw heavy emphasis on Mastery, but with ToS we saw Crit taking over and becoming the "dominant stat" of the two. That being said, Mastery should never be entirely left in the gutter. Maintaining half the amount of Mastery as we have crit, seem to yield the best overall results.

These stat priorities are ofcourse based purely on progression, where the fights last longer. For farm content, it seems to be better to stack high amounts of crit, over potential haste losses, as the fights are much shorter, we wanna shove in as much damage in that narrow window, compared to longer fights, where we're looking for more consistency.

Describe your spell rotation/useage/priority
My spell rotation is pretty much split into two stages. (Non-Voidform / Voidform)
Outside of Voidform, the goal of the rotation is getting into Voidform as quickly as I can. For the purpose of this I follow a simple priority list.

Non-Voidform
1. Mind Blast
2. Keep up Debuffs (Shadow Word: Pain / Vampiric Touch)
3. Mind Flay

At 65 Insanity I'll be able to enter Voidform, thanks to a talent point (Legacy of the Void)
After this it becomes a combination of using certain things at certain times, as well as following a rotation untill I get to these various thresholds.

Void Bolt > 2 fillers > Void Bolt
This often looks like this
Void Bolt > Mind Flay > Mind Blast > Void Bolt
Below 20% health on the boss we get access to Shadow Word: Death, which usually fits into the rotation instead of Mind Flay. Or is used during Movement.

If dots needs to be applied to new targets, or if they fell off an existing one, this is done instead of Mind Flay.
Now as soon as I pop into Voidform, I'll immediately cast my Void Torrent. After which I'll go into my normal Voidform rotation. Now, regardless of Bloodlust/Procs/pots or various other buffs, we want to be casting out Mind Bender at around 30 stacks of Voidform, which also equals 30 seconds into our Voidform cycle. (Owl is often used in tandum with Mindbender, or shortly after)

All this comes down to maintaining a rotational cycle. As this provides the best results in terms of DPS. These cycles last for a minute at a time, just like Void Torrent and Mindbender. Which means when we drop out of voidform, roughly around 53-55 stacks, we immediately start rebuilding our insanity to get back into voidform, so we can begin our next cycle.

Outside of these cycles there is a couple of things to take into account.
1. Dispersion. While it does stop our Insanity Drain and effectively pauses our cycle, this has to be taken into account. If I disperse before popping my Mindbender, my cycle isn't really affected. While popping Dispersion while Mindbender is out, will shorten my current Voidform, as I won't get the extra insanity to stay inside. This however does not break my next cycle.
2. Our raid utility Cooldown Vampiric Embrace is able to provide a nice bit of healing to the raid, but if this isn't used within a Voidform and preferably on 30+ stacks, the healing becomes quite neglible.
3. I should always be looking for oppotunity to take advantage of Sephuz, as this is currently the best legendary for Shadow regardless of our ability to proc it or not.
4. Even if I am dealing with adds that die fairly quick, and hence isn't worth dotting, I should be looking for oppotunities to to snipe them to proc Twist of Fate (+20% dmg)
5. I'm a fairly self-sustainable class, with a heal available to me. This ofcourse means it is worth to cock up a cycle to spam myself with Shadow Mends if it means I will live. Living DPS usually does more than a dead one.

Do you have any alts?
I have quite a few alts on Defias Brotherhood. More or less 1 of each class.

Can anyone or anything interfere with your online gaming?
Exams, but those are usually a daytime thing, so unlikely that they would interfere.
Family stuff, but I usually plan ahead of times, and if it is something that's going to interfere with my raiding, I let my officers know in advance.
Twigs

Re: [PvE] Twigs, Shadow Priest

Postby Loeka » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:04 pm

Hey there Casper,

Thank you for your application.

As mentioned in our chat we´ll hopefully get some interesting detail questions on your application. We´ll try to process your application soon as its usually done on tuesday.

~Loeka
Loeka

Postby Nalani » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:44 am

Hey there Casper.

First off I would like to talk about your stats abit more in depth.
You said haste is the go to stat for us, but crit being very good aswell and mastery decent aswell. I see you are running 35% haste and about 31% crit ( armory is in pvp gear atm so couldn't re-check ) Are you comfortable being around 35% haste and only 31% crit? Why not opt for crit gems / enchants as the fights don't last that long anymore anyways and crit being supperior on faster kills?

I also see that you are using the owl trinket on every fight ( appart from Harjatan and Host HC while having acces to the host trinket ) is this due to not having other trinkets or do you just preffer the owl trinket? What about arcano or the KJ trinket?

How do you determine which pieces are an actual upgrade? Do you just blindly simm yourself and go with whatever pops the highest simmed DPS or do you look at your own stats?

You mentioned popping Mind bender at 30 stacks
When do you pop it on fights that open with heroism? Do you still pop it at 30 regardless? Because thats a big dps loss right there.

What about fights like Demonic Inquisition, host, Avatar and KJ where you have mutiple targets at your disposal. Do you still pop mindbender at 30 stacks? Because we shadow priest dont have ' that good ' single target damage outside S2M, so we really have to maximize our mindbender usage to our advantage to pop out that extra DPS!

and last question you mentioned SW:D ' replacing ' Mind Flay at execute ranges, does this mean you dont ever cast a single mind flay anymore sub 20%?

Looking forward to your response!
Best of luck with the app :)

Nalani
Nalani

Postby Twigs » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:01 pm

Hello there Nalani

First off I appreciate the questions, and I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Talking about stats and more so haste, there's a couple of implications this has. First and foremost, naturally more haste dictates the pace of the spec, but more so, it also affects other stats, as it interacts with it through talents. Currently in Tomb of Sargeras, we're seeing Auspicious Spirits being taken over San'Layn. Auspicious Spirits naturally benefit a lot from crit, as without it, the steady stream of resource we gain through it, is dictated by crit amounts. But Auspicious Spirits also interacts with Haste, as that haste makes our dots tick more rapidly, hence giving them more oppotunities to crit.
The alternative talent, San'Layn, which is known as the talent that has more emphasis on Mastery, is in theory viable, however it shuffles up the stats a bit. Due to the nature of San'Layn, crit quickly looses value, so it would be mainly focused on Haste/Mastery. Sitting on some crit and then going for Mastery would be the TL:DR. But for San'Layn to be viable, I would have to adopt a lot more haste(16000 Haste with Belt+Sephuz, compared to the 12000 needed for AS). San'Layn doesn't get the benefit of steady streams of Insanity, so if we want to maintain our cyclical playstyle, more haste is needed. Once again, haste also means more ticks per dot, as well as the heavy Mastery stacking, ramps up their damage.

Having too much Haste in AS naturally skewers your DPS as well, so it's all about that sweet spot, to make sure I get the most out of my stats and talents. Currently I am sitting on 12000 Haste in my gear, with roughly 10000 crit and 6000 mastery (With Owl Trinket). This naturally means I have some wriggle room to play with. 12000 is the ideal spot to sit at when it comes to haste, but as long as it stays within the 10000-14000 window, I wouldn't experience any decline in crit. The nature of crit and mastery working together, mastery making the dots tick harder and crit, well giving them a chance to crit, means not having any Mastery isn't good. But ideally, if I could pick and choose freely, I would opt for more crit, a bit less Mastery, and in terms of farming content, maybe even lower my haste a bit, so I favoured crit more.

As for trinkets, I'll admit I've been a little laid back, as I haven't been too lucky in this area. Terror, Owl and Spectral is currently what I have available as trinkets, the rest being severely lower itemlevel. (Did get a Haste Stick 940 earlier, which I'm gonna play around with :D) But I'll just go through them, and give you my thoughts.
Terror From Below: This trinket provides as a good damage source, while also providing a lot of crit, which is something I sorely desire. (Benefits from Crit)
Owl Trinket: Providing a good chunk of Mastery, while being able to sync the active with every other Mindbender, provides a decent burst of damage. However this would be the first trinket I would can, in favor of a stick, KJ trinket or Spectral. Spectral definately edges out over Owl, when you can hit 3+ targets consistently, so that's an easy choice. Next thing to consider is useage, as in how many times will I actually get to use the active effect. The less I get to use it per fight, the more it looses its value.
Spectral: The damage from this trinket on single-target is decent, but it really becomes a powerful source, when dealing with 3 or more targets, that you can consistently hit. (Benefits from Crit)
Tome of KJ: This would serve as an alternative way of adding small burst windows of crit. Possibly be a good alternative to Terror on some fights, due to ground clutter and such. I think most casters have experienced their shark getting stuck and chewing on them instead of the intended target. (:D) Definately a strong trinket, one I've sadly been unable so far to get my hands on. Could also be a very good alternative to owl, on fights where you can't get the optimal use from this.
Unstable Arcano: Certainly a strong stat stick that has dominated most of Legion because of the overbudgetted stats on it. One I would love to get my hands on as well.

In conclusion, there is some immensely strong trinkets out there, that can be mixed and matched, depending on the fight type I'm facing. Most of the trinkets however I don't currently have access to, and the nature at which I have experienced Tomb Mythic so far, haven't left much room for experimentation, which is partly progress have been more important than my own personal parses, but also worth saying that it is also partly a missed oppotunity on my part.

Moving on to upgrades, and the nature in which I evaluate if it is an upgrade or not. Blindly simming anything is never a good thing, but simming however is a powerful tool. As a shadow priest, we have to be very careful when evaluating simms. This is due to the fluxuating nature of our stats. Changing any fight parameters serves to greatly alter how our secondary stats will act and play out. Most of the time, the Shadow priest community will turn to Magic Sim, which is a series of simms(roughly 30) that evaluates different fight types all at once, to give you the best overall picture. So when looking at a piece as an overall upgrade, this is usually the best method. That being said, if you are looking at improvements for a very specific boss, running specific simms can also serve to help. An examble would be, is Owl stronger han Spectral for.. Mistress? that's a very specific thing to look at. Naturally this only gives you a fraction of the picture, as the second part lies in, how is your raid set up? Do you run 10 Affliction Warlocks and 5 Unholy DKs? Then Spectral probably won't be the best option, as those adds are just gone.
When not using Simms, it all goes back to the basic gear philosophy.
1. 10000-14000 Haste (12000 roughly being the sweetspot)
2. Get Crit
3. 0.5 Mastery per point of crit.
Step 3 is only a rough guideline to go by. As in general you want more crit, while not completly neglecting Mastery.

Mindbender is a fickle thing to play with. There's more than just the immediate damage output to take into account, when it comes to Mindbender. If we're looking at Mindbender damage completly isolated, then it would probably be more beneficial to pop it with Bloodlust. However, Mindbender serves as more than just an isolated source of damage to us. Mindbender is popped at around 30 stacks, to push our Voidform further than it would go without MB. While this skews the Mindbender damage itself, it has loads of benefits beyond just looking at Mindbender. Extending our Voidform does 2 things to us, it increases the haste amount we get, as well as pile on additional stacks of Mass Hysteria. Mass hysteria being crucial to our spec, as the Dot damage it by far our biggest source of damage output. Mass Hysteria will then further buff up the damage, due to our longer Voidforms, as well as our Dots ticking additionally due to the added influx of Haste.
As it is possible to pop Mindbender early with Heroism, without affecting our next Voidform however, it could in theory be done. But in the case of popping Heroism in the beginning of the fight, it more so serves to catapult us into a good cycle. Shadow Priest couldn't burst, even if they wanted to, they are a ramp up class. Looking at the buff itself, the 30% added "haste" is a no doubt a strong buff in itself, but seeing as we usually pop our MB at 30 stacks of VF, meaning 30 haste, it's hard to say that popping a Mindbender for the sake of Heroism, is worth the loss in Voidform for. (This assumed we would pop MB as soon as we got in Voidform.)
We could ofcourse always look at popping Mindbender slightly earlier (when there's 22 seconds left of hero). This would roughly have us pop the MB @ 20ish stacks. This seems like a more viable option, as it wouldn't affect our next window, and it would probably benefit out DPS in the moment.
(I know this turned into a bit of a self-discussion, hope you find and answer in there. But if I should give you a definitive answer, I guess I'd say in a perfect world, it could be a small gain. But it would probably depend a lot on the fight as well.)

Lastly looking at SW:D briefly, I'm sorry I didn't elaborate a little more in the application. The general rule of thumb when it comes to SW:D is, never sit on 2 charges, so we always want to have 1 charge on cooldown. The other charge can serve multiple purposes. It can act as a bandaid incase of sudden movement, it can help us stay inside of our voidform, and naturally it does more DPS than just the mindflay. But there will be times I'll still be flaying inbetween Mindblast and Void Bolt, as spamming out SW:D isn't always the best course of action. So as long as I stay untop of the charges, and make sure atleast 1 charge is always on cooldown, I don't consider the spell to have many other deep implications to the rotation. (Naturally you can also use it to snipe low-HP adds for a bit of extra damage and insanity gain.)

Sorry for the delay in my response, and I really hope you found my answers satisfying. They were some good questions that really made me think and re-evaluate some of my choices, so I want to thank you for that. <3
-Twigs
Twigs

Postby Nalani » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:17 pm

Hey and thanks for the detailed answer, that sure shows some dedication

Im pleased with the answer you have provided but I still have one remark regarding Mind bender.

I should have been abit more specific here and asked if you ever thought about delaying the mind bender as with heroism you can get to 34 stacks without any real problems pretty easily which makes a longer voidform ( 60-61 stacks ) giving extra damage to that next void torrent aswell. Same goes for the boss fights like Demonic where you can always delay it to 34 without any real problems as you will have 2 targets to hit all the time.

Thats it from my part :)

Goodluck with the application!
Nalani
Nalani

Postby Twigs » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Ah yes, that would've made more sense indeed. Brainfart on my part as well :D

Yes you are indeed right about that. This is also a possibility when I get lucky with Call of the Void procs, so there is a few things that can push bender to a later stage indeed. And furthermore, with any extra targets you're also right, I should be pushing my bender a bit further into the rotation, as that would also improve any further Voidform times, due to the catapulting nature of Lingering Insanity.

Going through this application process has definately made me reflect on certain things already, which I love. Looking forward to hearing more from you guys. :)
Twigs

Postby Xanthous » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:31 pm

That's a lot of words. I can't claim to know anything about shadow priests, but props for the detailed and well written app. Good to see another app having to go through this kind of interrogation. Best of luck!
Xanthous

Postby Twigs » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Thanks for the kind words and well wishes Xanthous.

I always try to be detailed when making applications, and despite my initial application being a little lackluster in terms of some information, I'm glad I got the chance through Nalani's questions to rectify this. :D

I'm always happy to answer any and all questions you might have.
Twigs

Re: [Accepted] [PvE] Twigs, Shadow Priest

Postby Loeka » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:24 pm

Hey there Casper

We discussed your application during the officer meeting and have decided to give you a trial!

Feel free to whisper any officer ingame for an invite!

~Loeka
Loeka

Re: [Accepted] [PvE] Twigs, Shadow Priest

Postby Kann » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:32 pm

As per your chat with Loeka in-game, I'm flagging this application as withdrawn for the time being due to sudden changes in your real life circumstances.

If the time comes in the future when the above situation is resolved, feel free to contact us and request to have this thread unlocked so that we may resume the application progress without a full reapplication.
Kann

Return to Application Center